Wednesday, January 9, 2019

2018 Activities


Reflecting and remembering  2018 activities: pardon my rambling but I just want to get these thoughts and memories down before they're forgotten.
I had decided to not do so many art shows to see what might evolve. Expenses are high and it's time consuming to produce print work for them.

The first third of the year saw me hunkering down and painting, monthly Urban Sketchers group gatherings, teaching watercolor classes at Imagine Gallery who displays my work, a Brusho workshop, several local exhibitions at a church, libraries and museum,
learned origami from an excellent local artisan   https://www.facebook.com/Peaceofpaperdesigns/ , an art show and demos at https://www.dickmanfarms.com/ VaVa Bloom garden show, sketched at several Naturalization ceremonies (immigrants become US citizens) with a goal of doing some paintings for the courthouse.

The second third May-August: organized our annual June Paint Out art show and sale at our John D. Barrow art gallery http://www.barrowgallery.org/visit.php and took a break from art shows and just painted, took a great anniversary trip to Italy with my husband, did some local demos and my first private lessons at home. I did another Brusho workshop at a friend's lakeside home that was a blast. They organized snacks and dinner and set up all the tables and materials. so much fun! It was a really hot and humid summer so I really didn't do much plein air, choosing to stay cool on my shady porch. My thought was to build up a collection for later art shows in the Fall.

The last third September-December: Taught a one day watercolor workshop at Imagine Gallery, and took a fabulous flower painting workshop from Helen Dealtry in Hudson NY.  It was great learning her approach using bright inks and different papers, and how she earns a living. She is delightful besides!
Put some prints and notecards in two new consignment gift shops. Applied and got accepted as a a Signature member of Central New York Watercolor Society.
A friend and I organized a one day Fall art fair at a local nature center that was very successful-we learned a lot about organizing and advertising-it was a ton of work but happily it was well attended and the artists did well so we may do it again next year. 
Time is always of the essence in Fall to make some Holiday sales-I did a one day art show-Lakeside Artistry-it was so relaxing to be close to home!  And the following week WAS at home; I decided to try my first studio open house. Locals always like to buy notecards for Christmas so I thought why not- even if just a couple people show up it will be fun and get some painting work done meanwhile.  Made some hot cider and gingerbread cookies-timed to be warm out of the oven when people came.  At the last minute I decided to donate a percentage of sales to a cause in honor of a friend that had recently passed. Well, it turned out to be like a wonderful holiday party- lots of people came, made some nice sales, and was able to make a nice donation.

Became more active on Instagram and working to increase followers.
Made several art donations to local causes.

So it looks like it was a year of painting and trying new things in lieu of doing a lot of art shows. Seeing what works and where my art interests will evolve. I learned that I love doing a few local art shows for the connection to people and loyal followers. It's pure joy seeing everyone and getting their reaction to the art, knowing they are buying something I painted to make themselves and others happy.  In 2019 I'd  like to continue to learn and make great art, teach a bit, and look for more avenues to make sales.  More ideas for the New Year in the next blog!


Spring robins nest in our front door wreath.

Set up for my first studio open house

SKARTS exhibit

I made front cover of our local magazine!

Great workshop with Helen Dealtry

30x30 direct watercolor painting challenge

new gift shop consignment in Sherburne NY



organized art fair at Baltimore Woods
My son got engaged!
annual kayaking trip to ADK

NYC weekend to see Harry Potter

No comments: